Windows 10 Tutorials – How To Turn Off Cortana In Windows 10
How To Turn Off Cortana: It has been as helpful as Siri today. It can be used to surf the net, to show notifications, setting up reminders and many other things; and all these with voice control feature as well. But there are many people who are security conscious or may not like the idea to dictate. Microsoft might be looking for you and many people do not want to give their precise location or ATM card number. Before Windows 10 recent update, you could disable Cortana by toggling just a switch. But after that Microsoft has made it nearly impossible to switch Cortana off.
We have a fix for you although, as we have figured out the way to turn off Cortana even after the Anniversary update. Below we have for you some steps which you need to follow and you will switch Cortana off within no time. This works both in Windows 10 home version and Windows 10 Pro version. Please keep in mind that this fix needs access to the registry, so be sure you back up your files and data first and then proceed as this might factory reset your PC.
How To Turn Off Cortana
Below are the steps you need to follow to turn Cortana off.
1. Open the Regedit. This is the registry editor and you can open it by searching the same in the search box in the taskbar.
2. If it prompts open, click on allow the program to make changes to your Computer.
3. After this step, go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Windows Search
4. But in some cases, this was not available and had to be made. This is how it can be done if it is not there on your PC.
5. First right click on Windows search and click on New > DWORD (32-bit Value).
6. Then name the D-Word AllowCortana. Click it and make sure that the value is 0.
7. Restart your computer (or log out and log back in).
8. Cortana will now be replaced by a regular search bar.
9. Although it may look like Cortana is gone, it will still be running in the background. But there is no wrong in leaving it there. If you tried killing the program, it would just keep popping back up.
If this is all a bit too hard for you, we also have an easier method. With the method as mentioned above, Cortana is most likely to stay gone. It might keep popping back up even in the forerunning applications with the following steps. Nonetheless, here is an easier set of steps that you need to follow to turn Cortana off.
- First of all, open the Cortana search box in Windows 10/Windows 8/Windows 8.1.
- The next step is to click the Notebook icon (the one which is below the house icon)
- After this, click About me
- Then choose the user account which you use
- Then click Sign out
In this way, Cortana is signed out; but every time you sign back in, Cortana has chances of popping back up. So the first set of steps is a better version if you ask us, but there is no hard in these as well.